What are the symptoms of drug abuse?
- Feeling that you have to use the drug regularly daily or even several times per day.
- Failing in your attempts to stop using the drug.
- Making certain that you maintain a supply of the drug.
- Spending money on the drug even though you cannot afford it.
- Doing things that you normally wouldn’t do to get the drug – such as stealing, forging prescriptions or drug dealing.
- Feeling that you need the drug to deal with your problems.
- Driving or doing other risky activities when you’re under the influence of the drug
- Focusing more and more time and energy on getting the drug and using the drug
What are some signs of drug abuse?
- Problems at school/college/work.
- Frequently missing, and a disinterest in school, college or work.
- A drop in grades or dropping out of school or college.
- Warnings from work.
- Physical health issues, such as lack of energy and motivation. (Signs and symptoms of drug use and dependence varies according to drug type.)
- Neglected appearance; a sudden loss of interest in clothing and grooming.
- Changes in behaviour and in relationships with family and friends.
- If you are worried that someone you care about has an addiction problem, you may discover money or items stolen from previously safe places at home – which are being sold to support a drug habit.
Do I need to be concerned about my drug-taking?
- Do you use drugs to build self confidence?
- Have you ever missed work or school due to your drug use?
- Do you neglect your family or relationships because of drug use?
- Do people remark on the amount of drugs you are using?
- Is your drug use affecting your reputation?
- Do you feel guilty or remorseful after drug use?
- Do you feel more at ease when socialising or out on a date, when you have taken drugs?
- Do you borrow money or neglect your obligations because of your drug use?
- Do you ever wake up and wonder what happened the night before?
- Have you ever tried to quit or cut back your drug use?
- Have you ever been in hospital or been arrested for your drug use?
- Do you use drugs until your supply is gone?
- Were you ever treated by your doctor for your drug use?
- Do you use drugs as soon as you have a problem at home, in school, or at work?
- Have you ever switched drugs thinking a specific drug is ‘the problem’?
- Have you ever lied about what or how much you use?
- Do you think a lot about drugs?
- Do you continue to use drugs despite negative consequences?
- Have you ever used drugs to mask your emotional pain?
- Have you ever thought you may have a drug problem?
If you answered ‘yes’ to 5 of these questions or your answers concern you, please contact us in confidence at 065 684 0944 or by e-mail at email@example.com. We will guide and support you in making positive changes to your life. For further details visit www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie and www.al-anon-ireland.org